Tuesday, March 9, 2010

And a short visit to jail







Leadership training includes learning about models to emulate - and pitfalls to avoid.
Last Wednesday, the eighth grade spent several hours visiting Elon Law School and Guilford County Jail. Below are a few excerpts from student journals.
"When walking from Elon Law School to the jail, I started thinking about what the jail might be. I came to the conclusion that it would be very scary and that I would have to brace myself....If only everyone cold talk this tour and be right there with jail life...it certainly changes the views I have on this whole subject." (Matt)
"...this trip made me realize that under no conditions would I ever want to end up in one of those cells. After seeing where all of the women were kept, I was shocked. They had absolutely nothing to do. You had two options, to sleep or read. I could never imagine having to do that every day for up to two years." (Jessie)
"...everything was very industrialized. We were completely surrounded by concrete all of the time and the colors of the pain on the walls were unsettling at best. I couldn't help but notice the contrast between his jail and the early medieval cell of Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs." (Samuel)
"Seeing the inmates in person was frightening and inspirational. It showed me what will happen to you if you break the law. It made me think about the consequences for my actions." Russell
"We talked to students...who told us a little about what they wanted to do after finishing law school and why they chose to do it." Zach
"Visiting the jail really changed my perspective." (Jennie)
Thanks to Steve Friedland for organizing this trip for BSDS eighth grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment